Yesterday, Barry Kauler, the founder of Puppy Linux announced its latest version Puppy Linux 3.00. He said that this version is the massive upgrade to its predecessor Puppy Linux v2.17.1.
What exactly is Puppy Linux?
If you dont know what am I talking about…read this:”Puppy Linux is the Slackware 12 based Linux distribution designed especially for low-end computers and because of its small size (80-100 MB) it can run from live CD or from USB stick”. It is based on Slackware than it doesn’t mean that it is a clone of Slackware but it is totally a different distribution from base. And if you run this from USB stick then it will transfer caching and flush data to RAM in every 30 minutes and hence will not affect your USB.
Whats new in 3.00?
Here is the list:
- All base packages upgraded, including glibc v2.5, gcc v4.1.2, GTK v2.10.13.
- Application upgrades (incomplete list): pptp v1.7.1, Isomaster v1.1, KP2 v0.2 (gray), Pbdict (zigbert), pure-ftpd (getnikar), trashcan (disciple), Pbackup v3.0.0 (zigbert), Network Wizard (Dougal, tempestuous, BarryK), JWM v2.0.1, Xvesa Wizard (gray, BarryK), Burniso2cd (BarryK), Busybox v1.6.1, TkDVD v4.0.6, various small utilities (gray), Pidgin v2.0.2, SeaMonkey v1.1.2, Xorg v7.2, Unionfs v2.1.2, Pfind v2.4 (zigbert), PDF-printer v0.8 (jcoder24), WakePup2 (john doe, dgi), v1.6.9pre7, NoteCaseHomeBank v3.5, Universal Installer (BarryK), Pmirror v0.2 (zigbert), PRename v0.6 (plinej), partview (PaulBx1).
- Massive improvements achieved with new boot and shutdown scripts, including pup_save file custom naming, frugal install into a subdirectory, correct recognition of multiple pup_save files at bootup, pup_save file resizing.
- New kernel: 18.104.22.168, configured with ‘tickless’ option. Initrd.gz is now a cpio archive.
- NetSurf web browser v1.1 as our internal HTML viewer.
- True flushing for Flash drives (andrei, BarryK). Finally.
- Also a great number of bug fixes.
For more information on Puppy Linux go here
For announcements and release notes click here
Download the ISO image from here (size=97.63 MB)
Some screen shots:
Here I put some Puppy Linux screen shots for you to see[Obviously :D].